- Software Development
- Scientific Capabilities
- Full-Lifecycle Consultancy
- Flexible Engagement
- Reference Projects
We have successfully developed many different application types, including web, web service/SOA, smart client, MS Office, GIS, workflow-based systems and client-server applications. We have particular expertise in the development of complex web-based graphical user interfaces and relational database applications.
Alongside our software development skills we offer our customers rare expertise in applied science and engineering. This is reinforced by the presence of physics PhDs on our staff, qualified in geophysics, high-energy physics and theoretical physics. This scientific, mathematical and statistical expertise supports our successful contributions to highly challenging projects in complex fields like nuclear safeguards and geophysical monitoring.
AWST's software consultancy expertise spans all stages of the software lifecycle and our experienced staff can support projects at any scale, from individual tasks or phases up to the implementation of entire systems. We are comfortable working to both lightweight/agile and more traditional heavyweight software development processes. We have direct experience of:
- Project management and administration; program management support.
- Project definition, feasibility studies, pilots and prototyping.
- Requirements gathering and analysis, trade studies.
- Software architecture, design and development.
- System documentation, including architecture, requirements, manuals and test plans.
- System integration, deployment and installation.
- Software testing, quality assurance and control.
- System administration and operation.
- System maintenance and enhancement.
- Consolidation and refactoring of legacy code.
AWST offers a variety of arrangements in order to best meet our customer's unique and changing needs. These include engagement as a prime contractor, subcontractor or as a provider of contract employee personnel. Our employees work on-site alongside our customers' staff or in our own development offices in central Vienna as needed.
We are accustomed to participating in formal procurements and have been consistently praised by our customers for the technical quality and responsiveness of our proposals, quotations and bids. We are also open to informal technical discussions during the project definition phase, before procurement proceedings begin. When appropriate we can provide budgetary estimates free of charge.
Our core customers are United Nations Organisations headquartered in Vienna, Austria, who work in the fields of nuclear monitoring and nuclear safeguards, the Japanese Nuclear Material Control Center (NMCC) and the European Space Agency (ESA). We have successfully delivered a wide range of outstanding projects for these clients. Our main focus is the development of custom software solutions that support our customers' vision of a secure world.
- Since 1997 we have supported the installation, operation and maintenance of a unique software system for global seismic monitoring and monitoring of atmospheric radionuclides. This system was originally developed by our partner Leidos as the preeminent software solution in this special field. We provide ongoing expert support in improving the seismic monitoring system and keeping it up-to-date with newly emerging scientific methods and technology.
- We had a key role in the management and development of an integrated software system for supporting nuclear safeguards at a reprocessing plant in Japan. Our involvement in this multi-year and multi-vendor project covered the initial conception and design, contractor selection and management, the development of several software subsystems, testing and validation of software subsystems, system integration, and system deployment for operations at the reprocessing plant.
- For ESA we performed a trade study for new business process orchestration engines used in ESA’s Service Support Environment (SSE), provided software maintenance services for the Standard Archive for Europe (SAFE) tool suite and specified the essential climate variable (ECV) production system as system engineer of the soil moisture project in the Climate Change Initiative (CCI). Providing Earth observation services on cloud computing infrastructures we developed the Exploitation Platform for Soil Moisture (EP4SM) and the Polar Thematic Exploitation Platform together with scientific partners from the respective domains.
- We have successfully delivered many other software projects, including the development of a quality control system for validating electronic data submissions by states under nuclear safeguards, redesign of a secure website providing the main access point for member states to our client's products, services and data, an integrated suite of radionuclide data analysis software applications, an interactive state-of-health monitoring system for radionuclide monitoring stations, and a laboratory information system for radioactive data samples.